- Highland, Maryland
- Board member since: 2013
- Retired since 2013, I reside in Highland Maryland with my wife Susan. We have three grown children: Laura, Carl and Paul. We have three wonderful daughters-in-law: Wenqi, Nicole, and Molly. We also have three grandchildren, Raymond, Caroline and Emma Kate with another due in July 2018. My greatest joy is my family followed closely by visits to Bethania Kids in India where I see the results of our programs and the hope it brings to those in greatest need. Join us in service to the children and families in India.
Susan and I are lifelong Lutherans, and our first introduction to Bethania Kids was in Laurel MD with Our Savior Lutheran Church. At that time, OSLC supported the construction of Bethania’s first ministry facility. OSLC and our family have been supporters since then and are pleased to be in Service to our Lord, who works through us in to the Ministries in Bethania Kids. I am amazed where God has guided and blessed Bethania Kids for the last 26 years. I am glad to be working with our Brothers and Sisters in India who nurture, educate, care for, and bring the love of Christ into their lives. There is no more noble cause.
- St. Louis, MO
- Vice President – Marketing and Communications
- Board member since: 2013
- Kodaikanal International School
- University of Missouri-Columbia – B.A.
- Logan College of Chiropractic – D.C.
Growing up in south India has given me not only a profound awareness of the desperate needs of so many but also an understanding of what a huge difference just a little can make in the life of one person who has been helped. I was privileged to see the founding members of Bethania Kids reaching out to those in need even before Bethania Kids was formed; to witness the results of their vision and their faith in what has now become Bethania Kids begs for a deep commitment to continue God’s work as first inspired through them.
What makes Bethania Kids so extraordinary is that they care not just for one, or two, or a few, but at this time, 986 children. They provide care not just for their immediate physical needs like food, clothing and shelter, but for all their needs–emotional, spiritual, educational and health needs. And the commitment to each and every child in their care is not just for the present but from the time they come to us until they are ready to stand on their own and become independent, self-sufficient members of society with the belief and confidence in their own value as learned through the care and nurturing of Bethania’s incredible staff. It is a humbling honor to be a part of Bethania Kids. This is unquestionably God’s work here on earth.
- Minnetonka, MN
- Board member since: 2010
- I was married to Scott in 2005, and our son Simon was born in 2011. I work as an audiologist. When I’m not engaged in either home or work, I enjoy participating in my church small groups, children’s ministry, yoga, hiking, travel, social media, organizing photos, family dinners, and relaxing with a good book and warm coffee.
Bethania was first introduced to me when I was a child. My mother recruited my siblings and me to fold Bethania newsletters on our dining room table. As a sophomore in high school, I spent one semester studying at Kodaikanal International School. Fourteen years later, I was able to return to India and witness the growth of the Bethania Kids Ministries.
I am inspired by Bethania’s passion to share the gospel with the children of India. Real transformation is happening, not only in the lives of these children, but in their families and communities. The light of Christ shines so brightly in the midst of these dark circumstances.
- Laguna Nigel, CA
- Mission Trips Committee Chair
- Board member since: 2014
- I am a graduate of Valparaiso University (1984) with a degree in Elementary/Special Education. I have taught learning disabled students, worked as an instructional paraprofessional and tutored students at Huntington and Sylvan Learning Centers. My husband, Steve, and I currently live in Fort Worth, TX, and we have three grown sons. I am a donor to Bethania Kids Sponsor-A-Child and also an Advisory Board member.
I was introduced to Bethania Kids through long-time supporters, Terry and Renita Wold. They had traveled to India to visit the Bethania sites and, upon their return, gave a presentation about their experience to our church’s congregation. That’s when I became hooked and wanted to be involved. My husband and I began donating to Sponsor-A-Child and we’ve had the privilege of hosting home gatherings, as well, when our Indian partners have visited the United States.
In February 2014, I traveled to India for the first time with a group led by David Granner. What an amazing experience! The greatest defining moment, for me, occurred at the special needs center in Kodaikanal. That’s when it hit me. . . a moment when I felt God’s overwhelming presence and the life-changing power of His love. Jesus, undoubtedly, shows himself to us through Bethania Kids. The wonders of His love radiate in the smiling faces of the children and the compassionate, nurturing staff. God has also drawn me into a deeper relationship with Him through this ministry. We are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I’m so grateful to serve our Lord and know Him more profoundly by being involved with Bethania Kids.
- Waterloo, Ontario Canada
- Board member since: 2015
- BSc, MD, CCFP(EM) McMaster University, Canada Family Medicine/ Emergency Medicine
I was born in Tamil Nadu, South India. My parents were missionaries there from 1953-1978. India has and continues to be a big part of my life. India is a beautiful country, and in the middle of this country is a beautiful jewel called Bethania Kids. But there is something even more special about Bethania Kids. It is the jewel that is shining the light of Jesus and providing hope for many children who could imagine little more than begging on the streets or being abused just for being handicapped or outcast. Bethania Kids is a home in India where children are loved and cared for. It’s a home where Jesus is present.
In Matthew 19:14, Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.”
- Ann Arbor, MI
- Board member since: 2017
- ESL Faculty at Eastern Michigan University
Carol A. Hart has visited Bethania Kids ministry sites in India several times and is a familiar face on the video, You Are My Treasure, O Jesus. She and husband, Don, live in Ann Arbor, MI, and produced the video through their company, MOVE Communications, helping to create a distinctive brand for Bethania Kids. A member of the Board of Advisors, Carol has been active with Bethania Kids for 10 plus years, developing a dynamic ESL (English as a Second Language) curriculum for use in our homes and care centers. She is on the faculty of the ESL Program at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, and is Chief Financial Officer for MOVE Communications. Carol also serves as Co-Director of Children’s Programs at Cross & Resurrection Lutheran Church in Ann Arbor. We are very excited to add Carol’s passion for our ministry and her skills and experience to the Board of Directors!
- West Bend, WI
- Board member since: 2016
- I grew up in Northern Minnesota where family difficulties led me to a great sense of Jesus and the plan he had in my life at a very young age. After high school I went to college and heard God’s voice inviting me to go to China. I sold everything and went there for two years. For the past 30 years, I sought every opportunity to share Jesus to the lost. The greatest gift God has given me in this world for the past twenty two years is my wife. Renee is a Proverbs 31 wife. We have a daughter, Hannah, who is a senior at Living Word Lutheran High School, who has been longing to go to India for the past 10 years, and was able to join me in June 2016. We also have a son, David, who has Autism, and is a freshman at West Bend East/West high school.
About 10 years ago I traveled to India for the first time with David Granner. This was a defining moment for me in my faith walk. I committed myself during this trip to do everything I could to help the children in Bethania Kids. I have gone to India each year for the past ten years or have sent a team from my church, St. John’s Lutheran. I pray for the lost in India, that the kids will marry and that India will become a Christian Nation, one child and one family at a time.
I thank my wife for allowing me the blessing to go to India to see my dear children, despite the difficulties she faces with my son’s needs when I go. God has called me to go and care for the children of India!
- Winchester, VA
- Board member since: 2018
I am a gynecologist in Winchester, VA. I first discovered Bethania Kids through my church, Bethel Lutheran Church in Winchester. Bethel Lutheran is very active in the Bethania ministry. My oldest son, Gus, and I were fortunate enough to travel to India with a group from the church in 2014. The trip was transformative, and I have been passionate about this mission ever since. I am excited to see where God leads me in this ministry.
- Bowie, MD
- Board member since: 2018
- BA-Valpariso University, Valpariso, IN, degree in Theology
- MA - School Administration, Trinity College, Washington, D.C.
- Served at First Lutheran of Bowie, MD, Trinity Lutheran, Bowie, MD, and Ascension Lutheran, Landover Hills, MD
- Currently Executive Director for Congregational Outreach and District Operations, Southeastern District, LCMS
I am excited to get to know better the work of Bethania Kids and to continue my prayers for the work in India in new ways. In October 1998, I traveled on a Mission Trip to India and met children in classrooms, Bible clubs, villages, and orphanages. I experienced the energy and excitement of these young learners witnessing and listening to the opportunities to nurture and equip them with the Gospel as well as skills to thrive and make a difference. This is the work of Bethania and I look forward to being a part of this important ministry.
- Emeritus - Deceased
- Board member since: 1987
- Was an original founder in 1987, and served continuously as a board member until death
- Kodaikanal International School (Kodaikanal, India); High School diploma
- Valparaiso University (BSME, 1969; JD, 1974)
- Practicing business lawyer for 32 years in Minneapolis
- Adjunct law professor in several law schools for 36 years
- Active in numerous church and other non-profit organizations throughout life
“After growing up in India as the child of missionary parents, I have had a life long interest in helping underprivileged children in that country who in many cases are desperately poor and do not know the love of Jesus Christ.”